make package-recursive

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Tue Jul 10 12:46:34 UTC 2007

On 10/07/2007, at 7:41 PM, Nejc Škoberne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to create a custom set of packages, so that they will
> be installable to my other FreeBSD boxen.
>
> As I understand, I have to use 'make package-recursive', but I have
> some problems with it:
>
> 1. Is there a way to tell 'make package-recursive' not to _install_
>    package, but only build it? It is annonying and time-consuming
>    to deinstall every package after it is installed.
> 2. To refer to the previous point: I need to deinstall the packages
>    which I 'make package-recursive'-ed before, or else some other
>    package which also depends on a port which is already installed
>    will not include that (already installed) package. How to change
>    this behaviour? I would like that the packages, which I create
>    via 'make package-recursive', _always_ include _all_ other
>    dependent packages.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> P.S.: Do you guys have any scripts for building a customized package
> set?

You have to install a package in order to build it, since the package
is built from the installed files.  Some level of transformation and
rearrangement occurs during the install process, so there's no easy
way to package without installing.

You can look in to using tinderbox (available from ports) to build
packages inside a jail.