gdvrecv produces very BIG FILES

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 09:53:12 UTC 2007

Dear all,

  I managed to connect my new canon mini dv camera to my firewire port on my freebsd amd64 machine and used gdvrecv to transfer the first 2 minutes of my first recording (did I mention I really like FreeBSD and I'm so glad it's possible t do this first step:-)

  However, this 2 minutes recording produced a dv file of +/512MB in size. I have a 60 minute casette so in theorie I would get a 15GB dv file? Right? Is that normal, to have this big sized files as a result?

  ps Unfortunately Kino didn't compile sucessfully on my FreeBSD box, so I had to revert to my Linux partition and process the file there (I already asked the port maintainer of Kino what I could do to get it working on my amd64 system_