severely OT; re PUTTY [ssh]

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Jul 9 20:54:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 10:44:58PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Peter Boosten wrote:
> >Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >>	I was able to find, ldown load and instal the DOS/Windows ssh
> >>	utility, but am having trouble scp'ing stuff between my BSD side
> >>	and my W2K server.  Anybody know what file I have to modify to
> >>	get permission on the windows computer?
> >>

> >Gary,
> >
> >Search for winscp, a (free) graphical drag&drop scp tool.
> >I've seen some limitations with scp of putty (like file sizes over 2 Gigs).
> >
> >Peter
> >
> Gary,
>    If you're just trying to do file transferring/sharing in a local
> 'secure' network, I suggest Samba in place of scp. You might also want
> to consider Samba + VPN as well; scp is great for porting files over
> long distances, or a last resort for dealing with Unix <=> Windows
> transferring, but just seems incredibly kludgey when dealing with
> files/directories otherwise (having to maintain an ssh connection,
> having to install a scp/ssh client per machine for instance are what I
> consider kludgey).

	Samba and the like are entirely foreign to me since I avoid
	anything Windows.  B-u-t, we have a new HP
	printer/copier/scanner/<whatever else> on the W2K box, and
	I'd like to scan in photo and other stuff and scp them across
	the CAT5.  Soooooo.

	gary

	PS:  a personal note---how's the summer-of-coding going?  I'm
	     hoping that new young blood can make major improvments in
	     keeping FBSD easier to keep current.  I'm almost abandoning
	     Ubuntu for your Dell because things there under Gnome
	     Just Work.  :-)

	     Please 'cuse the drift, folks....

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix