Lost SSH X1 Forwarding with Xorg 7.2

Norbert Papke fbsd-ml at scrapper.ca
Sat Jul 7 18:19:16 UTC 2007

On July 5, 2007, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> A nice *feature* that I just noticed, I apologize if it has been
> mentionned earlier.
>
> xorg 7.2 tends to install all the components in /usr/loca insteal of
> the traditional /usr/X11R6.
>
> But sshd is still expecting xauth to be in /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth; so
> sshd_config has to be modified to reflect the fact that xauth new path
> is /usr/local/bin/xauth.
>
> So the default /etc/ssh/sshd_config should be adapted to reflect this
> change...

The default location in /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth should still work with the
symlink in place.

However, I had a similar problem to yours.  Having tracked 7.2 for some time,
I had "X11BASE=${LOCALBASE}" in /etc/make.conf.  When building sshd,
LOCALBASE is not defined and X11BASE ends up being the empty string.  This
then caused XAUTH_PATH to be set to /bin/xauth which, of course, does not
exist.  Removing the statement from /etc/make.conf fixed this -- it isn't
required anymore.

Cheers.