Skype - problem with sound device

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Jul 6 11:09:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:29:34 +0800
Ariff Abdullah <ariff at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Show me the output of
>
> #fstat|grep '\(\(dsp\|audio\|dspW\|mixer\)[0-9]\|\(snd\|midi\)stat\)'
>
> .. before/after opening skype.

Hi Ariff :)

I haven't had the problem since.But i decided to check with fstat...and I was
amazed at the number of file descriptors (to /dev/[sound_related]) that skype
keeps open.

I use skype extensively, both for chat + voice. I've had skype running for over
12 hours, probably 24 hours (my uptime says 1 day 21 hours...so maybe as long
as that). When  I run your command, I got 2700+ entries  - all but 2 were
skype's!  You can see it for yourself at

http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/20070706/withskype_12hrs+.txt

I then shut down skype :
http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/20070706/b4skype.txt

And opened it again, waited it to log in and go another snapshot:
http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/20070706/withskype.txt (no changes really).

I then did a test call to the skype test call bot, while the call was running i
got:
http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/20070706/skype_1_call.txt

which is , i suppose, ok... but AFTER the call, I still had several entries
left over:
http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/20070706/skype_1_call_finished.txt

Is this normal / expected?

Thanks again for all your help.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for
heroism in the war -- for killing people. We received ours for entertaining
other people. I'd say we deserve ours more." John Lennon

Warned.