game advice

Momchil Ivanov idiotbg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:39:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007 04:29:07 Andriy Babiy wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Could anyone share their gaming experiences? My son is 8 years old. Card
> games and balls are good, but I think he wants something more dynamic
> rather than educational :-) On one machine, with recent video card, I plan
> to install glest for him. Another machine has P-III and Matrox 8 Mb. Is
> there anything "peaceful" but dynamic enough for an older video card?
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Andriy

You can try the mame emulator (it is in ports). There were a lot of games for
8 bit consoles when I was about 8 years old :) and believe me, they were and
still are amaizing. There is no such experience as playing the whole
night "Tanks" with a friend getting to the last level or so. There were a lot
of "Mario*" games, Load runner was one of my favouries too, there is a port
in games:

Info:   A Lode Runner clone for X11

I beleive I haven`t tried that one though. Btw "Contra" was one of the best
shooting games for those boxes. As I said there are tooooooooo many games for
those old boxes, that you can play with the mame emulator.

You can also try with some windows games on windows or using the wine emulator
(the P-III won`t be fast enough for emulation). StartCraft* is one of my
favouries (runs with the wine emulator under FreeBSD).

There are some games in ports like xjewels (super cool tetris game as far as I
remember), xboing is good too.

In the end I should say: install as more games as you can and give your son
the chance to choose what to play :) a lot of games is always good, one can
always find at least one that he can play the whole day long. Having less
games is somehow limiting.

--
This correspondence is strictly confidential. Any screening, filtering
and/or production for the purpose of public or otherwise disclosure is

PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E  158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B