The worst error message in history belongs to... BIND9!

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jul 4 18:48:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 12:26:01PM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 22:05:50 -0600
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> > > 	Perl has not been part of the base system for several years
> > > and was deprecated for some time before that.
> >
> > Is it part of the default install without being part of the base
> > system, then?  I don't recall needing to install it after system
> > install on this laptop (using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE).
>
> A huge number of ports and packages have it as a dependency.

Yes, of course -- there's a great deal of Perl-based software on various
unices that is written in Perl.  I seem to recall having Perl available
before I had most of my usual software installed on this system, however.
In retrospect, though, I think something associated with Portupgrade uses
Perl -- and I would have had that installed by the time I recall having
Perl available -- so that's probably the "culprit" in this case.