Migration from 5.5 to 6.2 without single user access

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Wed Jul 4 17:30:51 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 21:10:22 Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading a remote server (very remote, 10,000 km) and I have no
> way to access the machine in single user mode.
>
> Is there a recommended way to do the upgrade from 5.5 to 6.2?
>
> Do everything in multi-user, but kill all services but sshd?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olivier

your mileage may vary...

but i do it without killing any services (but i also know that i am the only
one logged into the machine).  when you install world, *for the most part*,
you are not tampering with things like apache, etc.

as always, good backups of your data and configurations are a must before
performing any such dangerous process as a multiuser-mode installworld.

when going from 5.x to 6.x, most people recommend first upgrading to the
lastest possible 5.x release first, and then moving on to 6.x (so in your
case, either 5.5-STABLE or 5.5-RELEASE-p13.

good luck,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org