About FreeBSD installation

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Jul 4 14:27:15 UTC 2007

Quoting Vladimir Tsvetkov <npacemo at gmail.com>:

> It depends on what you really want. If you don't want 64-bit version OS, I
> don't think you'll have problems at all. Recently, my PC got fucked up, I've
> changed the mother board, switched from 32 bit AMD Athlon to a 64 bit AMD
> Turion, and successfully booted from the previously installed FreeBSD
> 4.9Release on the hard drive.
> If you want the 64 bit version of the OS, further investigation from you are
> needed.
> Check this out:
> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html

About two weeks ago, I lost two amd-32 servers and replaced them with
amd-64 and am running off the old disks beautifully, and much, much
faster.  I have over 500 ports on both.  One was and is running up to
date Stable and the other up to date Current.  I was planning on going
to AMD64 but with the current results, I really doubt that I will make
the change until well after the current 7.0 release.

I made this decision based on recommendations made on this list a few
days ago.  You might want to search the mailing lists if you need more
assurance and if no just enjoy the AMD64.  I'm happy with their
performance and price.

enjoy,

ed