only first PCMCIA card works

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed Jul 4 13:17:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:13 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Dear list
>
> Running FreeBSD-6.1 RELEASE on Thinkpad 380XD, I have been using this
> notebook for many years (and used FreeBSD from 4.7 to 6.1). An ethernet
> card is plugged on the first PCMCIA slot and I inserted my FC card
> reader (PCMCIA card produced by Hitachi) and noticed it's not detected
> (no message about it in dmesg)

During researching for a solution I have discovered several interesting
thing: it seems there had been two PCMCIA related device drivers in
FreeBSD:

old system:
device pcic
device card

new system
device cbb
device pccard
device cardbus #(if cardbus is needed)

And I discovered on FreeBSD 6.1 (perhaps many of them are already
corrected in the coming 7.x version:

     I. man pcic and man card shows two difference pages (check bottom
        for the difference) and one of them is likely outdated, too
        outdated even for OLDCARD system
    II. FreeBSD official document still refer to pccard_enable="YES"
        which is no longer used thanks to the new card system. Link is
        here:
        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/pcmcia.html
   III. No information about deprecation of pcic/card is mentioned in
        manual, also the pccard manual is too short to provide useful
        information. No information about pccardc's dependency on old
        pcic/card device drive is mentioned in pccardc's manual (which
        would lead people to ask "why pccardc complain /dev/card0
        doesn't exist") and I cannot find the new userland tool that
        replaces pccardc for testing and adjusting pccard behavior.

Not just someone who try to complain here, but having this note might
help other people find useful information or serve as a note to
developers help FreeBSD improve in next version. Now I try to compile a
kernel using pcic/card device drive and see if my second card would
work.