freebsd / gateway / parental control

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:25:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 12:44 -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:46:10 +0200
> > Momchil Ivanov <slogster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> 4) Forget about the DSL router. Box with wireless NIC, 1 NIC for home net, 1
> >> NIC for the DSL
> >> 	- same as above, just have to tell your box how to connect to your ISP
> >
> > ok, this is interesting. You mean, plug the phone line straight into, say,
> > fxp1 ? and then using ppp to connect over PPoE to your ISP?
> >
> > I had originally thought of getting a DSL card , but there doesn't seem to be
> > any ADSL2/2+ supported.
>
> A phone line is RJ11 and can be only a single pair; ethernet cables which go
> into a fxp NIC are RJ45 and have four pairs.  :-)  If you wanted to connect
> the phone line directly, you'd rightly need to get a DSL PCI card.
>
> However, you can connect a DSL modem into one side in bridge mode, and have
> the output of the DSL modem connect to a FreeBSD machine via ethernet which
> uses PPP to do the PPPoE/PPPoA negotiation, or you can use a "broadband
> router/switch" to do that, instead.
>
> Regards,

In your part of the world, yes. I've encountered setups (iirc in
Denmark?) where the telco terminates their line as an RJ-11 and an
RJ-45. You can then plug into that either a router that talks PPPoE on
an ethernet port, or directly into NIC in your computer and talk PPPoE
there. This is where PPPoE clients like rp-pppoe and their ilk come into
play.

You can even do (rudimentary) sharing of the ADSL by plumbing it into a
hub. Any other client connected to the hub can kick off a PPPoE session.

Not many telcos do this these days I think..