"late filesystems" and switching net configs

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Jul 4 06:05:39 UTC 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> I have a couple of niggling little, er, "quirks" that I'd like to get
> sorted out on my FreeBSD Thinkpad.
>
>   1. During boot, if I'm booting up anywhere but at home (where my static
>   IP address configuration applies), the startup messages pause for a few
>   long seconds at a message that says "Mounting late filesystems".  When
>   plugged into the network at home, though, using my static IP
>   configuration, it swoops past that pretty quickly.  Can someone tell me
>   what that's about?
>
>   2. For some reason, if I use DHCP at all then want to switch back to my
>   static IP setup, I have to restart the computer to get it to access the
>   Internet.  I haven't been able to figure out why.  If I recall
>   correctly, I can switch to static IP on bge0 and access other systems
>   on the network, but I can't do anything related to the Internet.  Yes,
>   by the way, I am checking to make sure the contents of resolv.conf are
>   correct.
>
> Any ideas about how to figure out what's going on in either case would be
> welcome.

For #2 (maybe a long shot):
Just recently I needed to change on the fly the IP address of one
machine, and after a /etc/rc.d/netif restart, I lost Internet
connectivity. Access to the local network was normal. This machine is
behind an ADSL router (IP 192.168.0.250) which acts as the gateway. The
problem was, after the IP address change the default gateway was lost.
defaultrouter was present in rc.conf but was not applied again after the
netif restart. A quick route add default 192.168.0.250 fixed it.