The worst error message in history belongs to... BIND9!

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jul 4 05:22:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:29:03PM -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:

> >> That's a major argument for doing things in python or perl as
> >> they are consistent across all platforms ...
> >
> >If one is going to require the installation of something that may
> >not be part of a base system, that something might as well be bash :)
>
> One of the reasons I started using perl almost 20 years ago was
> that it was cleaner and more consistent than tying a bunch of
> utilities together with the shell (not to mention only having to
> master one type of regular expressions :-).
>
> I now use python for the vast majority of my development work
> instead of perl as I find it much cleaner with better object
> oriented features.

I'm of a similar mind, except that for OOP stuff I prefer Ruby, and for
non-OOP stuff I still generally use Perl.  Python doesn't really whet my
whistle, so to speak.

> When I write shell scripts, I use a very limited set of features
> which are /bin/sh compatible.  As soon as I start having to do
> anything much more than run a program against a list of files, I
> switch to python.

  $language =~ s/python/Perl/
Otherwise, ditto what you said.  Much like PHP, I find that shell
languages as scripting syntaxes don't really scale well in terms of
maintainability.  YMMV, of course.

Baltasar Gracian: "A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from
his friends."