The worst error message in history belongs to... BIND9!

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Jul 4 04:26:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

>> >differences in, say, arithmetic handling and loops can sometimes
>> >mean rewriting parts of shell scripts depending on whether it is
>> >going to run in BSD or Linux.
>>
>> That's a major argument for doing things in python or perl as
>> they are consistent across all platforms ...
>
>If one is going to require the installation of something that may
>not be part of a base system, that something might as well be bash :)

One of the reasons I started using perl almost 20 years ago was
that it was cleaner and more consistent than tying a bunch of
utilities together with the shell (not to mention only having to
master one type of regular expressions :-).

I now use python for the vast majority of my development work
instead of perl as I find it much cleaner with better object
oriented features.

When I write shell scripts, I use a very limited set of features
which are /bin/sh compatible.  As soon as I start having to do
anything much more than run a program against a list of files, I
switch to python.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Intellectually, teachers fall between education theorists and bright
cocker spaniels. (Probably closer to the education theorists. The AKC has
been doing wonders with spaniels.) If you think I'm kidding look at the
GREs for education majors, whose scores are the lowest of all fields, and
remember that these are the smart ones.'' -- http://www.FredOnEverything.net