flash

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jul 3 17:11:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 10:57:08PM -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:

> "Need" is relative, but personally, I stopped installing Flash even
> operating systems where it actually sort of works, albeit sucking down
> CPU and RAM like there's no tomorrow, and crashing on a semi-regular
> basis...
>
> I found my surfing experience vastly improved without Flash.
>
> Formerly dog-slow sites are much faster.
>
> And there isn't any content I've felt deprived to not get.
>
> Obviously, folks who spend their free time (or work-time :-)) watching
> youtube would feel differently, but...

Actually, you don't need a Flash plugin for YouTube.  Just install
MPlayer with the win32-codecs port, and use youtube-dl (in the youtube_dl
port, of course) to grab the video you want.  The only reason I recently
installed Flash was to make use of the Buell website (they make great
motorcycles, but apparently have no idea how to make an accessible
website).

Of course, with the xpi-flashblock port installed, it's almost exactly
like not having Flash installed at all, most of the time.  I consider
that a feature, of course.

Rudy Giuliani: "You have free speech so I can be heard."