OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 quits on launch

Paul Chvostek paul+fbsd at it.ca
Tue Jul 3 12:42:29 UTC 2007

Hiya.

I just did my Xorg upgrade, which included an upgrade of OpenOffice.org
to version 2.2.1.

Now, when I launch OO, it complains not at all, but opens no windows.
It doesn't take much time:

  > time openoffice.org-2.2.1
  0.727u 0.267s 0:02.06 47.5%     301+915k 1+0io 0pf+0w

The shell wrapper (/usr/local/openoffice.org-2.2.1/program/soffice) is
definitely running soffice.bin.  But the binary does nothing except
return an exit value of 78, which is *not* trapped by the shell wrapper.
And I don't know what 78 means.

I've seen some hints in other operating systems' forums that OO does
strange things when fonts with questionable metrics are installed, so
I've uninstalled a bunch of things that I can probably do without, and
replaced the rest with `portupgrade -fR xorg-fonts-7.2`, to no avail.

Running soffice.bin in an strace produces gobs of output that I don't
know how to interpret.  The last few "useful" lines from strace refer to
libraries like libglib, libiconv, etc, so I've reinstalled glib2 and
libiconv and some others, also to no avail.

I'm in 6.1-RELEASE-p17.  Java (diablo-jdk1.5.0) works standalone, TTF
fonts work in other apps, and OO was built with these in /etc/make.conf:
  WITH_EVOLUTION2=yes
  WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED=yes
  WITH_SYSTEM_FREETYPE=yes

Any suggestions?  Has anyone else seen and solved this?

Thanks.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul at it.ca>