Problem with a NIC in FBSD 6.2

PU uthoffp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:01:07 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem I'm hoping someone here can help with. I built a
6.2 FBSD box and wound up with a bad NIC out of 3 and what I thought might
have been a bad pci slot. I replaced the NIC with a new one, and moved the
card to another slot just to make sure I took care of the problem.
However, now when I boot up, my rl0 interface is recognized, but isn't
'initialized'. What I mean by that is that I see entries in dmesg, but an
ifconfig does not show that interface. I can't even plumb the thing as the
OS says it doesn't exist. What really throws me is that the other two NICs
and a video card that were also moved are recognized with no problems at
all. Problems just seem to follow the rl0 interface.

When looking through dmesg, I see the following:

rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem
0xde000000-0xde0000ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on pci0
rl0: reset never completed!
rl0: unknown device ID: ffff
device_attach: rl0 attach returned 6

I'm about at the point where I'll just re-install since I haven't gotten
very far yet, but I'd like to learn something from this. My searches thus
far haven't been very helpful as most of the results have been concerning
problems with ACPI and disabling it.

 I'm new to FreeBSD, so even if someone can point me to a good guide on
dealing with hardware in FreeBSD, it would be greatly appreciated. Of
course if that was in addition to whatever direct suggestions you might
have on how to resolve this problem, that would be wonderful too. ;-)

Thanks much!

Peter