Anyone has migrated Xorg from 6.9 to 7.2 with success ?

Duane Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Mon Jul 2 20:42:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 at 21:34 +0200, f.bonnet at esiee.fr confabulated:

> Hello
>
> I tried twice starting from a fresh 6.2-R installed machine
> and followed intructions of the updating file but it failed
> twice ... Once Xorg has been upgraded I've never been able
> to start X server again , I use KDE so I start X server with
> the kdm command.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help

I, like others, have successfully upgraded from Xorg 6.x to 7.x. I have
three computers that were upgraded using the instructions within the
UPDATING file. All three are running KDE.

However, if you are starting from complete scratch, why not just install a
base FreeBSD setup from the CD. Then after you either csup (or cvsup) or
portsnap the latest copy of the ports tree, install Xorg. The Xorg on the
distribution CD is pre 7.x. Why not start right out on 7.x.