man sysinstall

Jared Barneck rhyous at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 04:24:24 UTC 2007

To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
From: Jared Barneck <jared at bsdcertification.com>
Cc:

>Submitter-Id:  current-users
>Originator:    Jared Barneck
>Category:      docs<choose from the list of
categories above (one line)>
>Class:          doc-bug
>Release:       FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE i386
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD freebsd.bsdcertification.com
6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
10:40:27 UTC 2007 root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/
usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

The man page for sysinstall was last updated in June
of 2005 and the sample file is tagged as 2001.  There
have been many changes since these were written.

The man page for sysinstall needs updated to match the
new install settings.  The install has changed in a
few ways.  For example, the dists variable now need to
remove outdated options and add the new options such
as: kernels GENERIC SMP.

The example file is in the src tree under
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg but no longer
works in 6.2.  A new sample file would be much
appreciated.

>How-To-Repeat:
1. Place the /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg
file on a floppy disk.
2. Edit the file for a given environment (replacing
sample IPs, names, etc.)
3. Start an install.
4. Pass the install.cfg file to the installation.
5. It does not install a working system

>Fix:

I added the following to the dists variable and the
system installed: kernels GENERIC
I assume that SMP might be an option as well but this
would have to be verified.
There may be other options that are outdated.  I can't
seem to get the INDEX file to read.