Sorta OT - Backup solutions Mac to FreeBSD

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Jan 29 23:30:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007, Joe Auty wrote:
>I've heard of many people having problems with RsyncX and the version
>of rsync included in OS X crapping out and being unreliable.
>
>RsyncX and the patched rsync (the former being a GUI for the CLI
>rsync) that ships with OS X attempts to preserve resource forks and
>other file metadata (a lot of it from the OS 9 era where this stuff
>mattered). If you don't care at all about these attributes (I don't),
>I would recommend building a copy of the stock rsync from Macports,
>similar to FreeBSD ports in design: http://www.macports.org

The resource forks matter to some OS X software, in particular
the Reunion 8 genealogy program (which may also have issues when
run on case sensitive file systems).  Reunion is the only OS X
program I personally use where this has been an issue (resource
forks, not case insensitivity problems).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
		-- H.L. Mencken, ``Minority Report''