6.1 hard freeze after 2 hrs cp from ntfs to ufs

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Mon Jan 29 16:24:51 UTC 2007

So,  I have no ideas here.  I am migrating to 6.1 from win2k and I am
a bit leery as my system is freezeing.  Basically, I mount my ntfs
drive, and I have a fresh blank disk that I want to move my
hundred-odd gigs of data off of my old ntfs volume.  It goes for on
average about 2 hours, then the system locks up - no coredump, no ssh,
no shell, dead and gone.  It never freezes if I don't copy.  The os is
on a seperate disk on a seperate controller.  I am slowly getting the
copy completed, by using cp -n, but still, bsd is supposed to not
crash, period.  Why else replace my crappy win2k machine? (it decided
it didn't want to log onto the net 75% of the time anymore, and liked
to reboot every 20 mins wether you were copying or not).  As I said,
i've been running the bsd system daily for over 2 weeks, and it never
crashes or freezes until you copy.  I was even using these disks over
smb before, and moved my entire cvs repository (only several hundred
megs) off this same disk onto the root disk sucessfully last week.
Any ideas?  Out of swap?  I installed on a 160GB drive with the
sysinstall/bsdlabel -A (auto) option, so i would think I have a
reasonable amount of swap (about 1GB as I recall).  Gotta go to work.
Thanks for any advice.

ciao,
Steve