Noob: Kernek Compile Question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 14:41:46 UTC 2007

dharam paul wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
> In the section " Building and Installing a Custom
> kernel" it is stated that
> quote;
> 'The new kernel will be copied to the /boot/kernel
> directory as /boot/kernel/kernel and the old kernel
> will be moved to /boot/kernel.old/kernel'
>
> Do I have to do this manually or it is done by the
> system automatically?

It's automatic.

> Secondly, I am upgrading my FreeBSD system from
> FreeBSD RELENG_6_0 to RELENG_6_2 by cvsup.
>
> I want to do some changes in the kernel after
> updating. My question is is it necessary for me to
> 1. First make kernel according to RELENG_6_2
>     and then
> 2. Make requied changes in kernel (to include IPFW and
>  some changes for Squid)
> Or
> I can do the above two steps in one single step. How?

You can do all that in one go.  In fact, if you already
have a custom 6.0 kernel config file with your modifications
in it, you will probably only need to tweak it slightly (if
at all), and then you can use it to build a 6.2 kernel.
(Especially if your conf file basically says "include GENERIC"
or "include SMP" and then has just the differences between that
and your config -- chances are in that case it won't need any
tweaking at all)

Given that you're jumping a couple of version numbers here, be
sure to follow the instructions in the handbook about booting up
your new kernel *before* installing the rest of the world that
goes with it -- it's a damn sight easier to back out to just an
older kernel version if your new one won't boot than it is to back
out the entire OS...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3