how to enable linux flash player in firefox

Oliver Iberien odilist at sonic.net
Sun Jan 28 00:24:15 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 16:06, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org
wrote:
> Subject: Re: how to enable linux flash player in firefox
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Cc: Andreas Davour <ante at update.uu.se>
>
> On Saturday 27 January 2007 21:17, Andreas Davour wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> > > If you want to use flash with native freebsd browsers, you need to use
> > > linuxpluginwrapper (only for FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x). The details are
> > > explained at
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-brows
> > >ers.html http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/konqueror-flash.php
> > >
> > > If that doesn't work, please specify which FreeBSD version you're
> > > using and which browser.
> >
> > I followed those instructions and with firefox-2.0.0.1_1,1 it gives this
> > result:
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/flash7.so: Undefined
> > symbol "_dlsym"
> >
> > Since I'm now using 6.2-PRERELEASE I guess it could be fixed in the
> > final RELEASE, but it would be nice to know if someone can recognize
> > "_dlsym" and say it is so.
>
> You need to apply the rtld patch mentioned in the first link above.

This is what I used (from an archived posting to this list):

$ cd /usr/src
$ fetch http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
$ patch < rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
$ cd libexec/rtld-elf
$ sudo make rtld
$ sudo make install

I also had to make symlinks from libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to
the /npapi and /browser-plugins folders and update /etc/libmap.conf
(change "flash6" to "flash7" wherever it appears, basically) to get this to
work. But it does, in native Firefox, at least. Never seen or heard of it
working in Konqueror.

Oliver