cannot launch vsftpd at system startup

Peter Matulis pmatulis at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 27 20:55:23 UTC 2007

Hi gang,

I have read quite a few articles on how to start vsftpd at system bootup
but nothing seems to work on my new and updated 6.2 STABLE machine.

I have copied /usr/ports/ftp/vsftpd/files/vsftpd.sh.in
to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vsftpd.sh and it is executable.

In /etc/rc.conf I am placing:

vsftpd_enable="YES"

and in vsftpd.conf:

listen=YES
background=YES

I can't see the error when my machine boots but when I attempt to run
the rc.d script manually I get:

.: Can't open %%RC_SUBR%%: No such file or directory

I can start the daemon at the command line:

/usr/local/libexec/vsftpd &

I installed the port sysutils/rc_subr thinking it may help but it does
not.  I also reinstalled vsftpd with the make option RC_NG but it
doesn't seem to do anything (isn't it supposed to install the rc.d
script?).

Any comments?

Peter