Spam and Viruses, Vandalism-l, the Mailing List from Hell.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sat Jan 27 12:23:49 UTC 2007

Paul Schmehl writes:
> Uvscan is McAfee's antivirus product. Did you install it? There's a conf
> file in the files directory of that port. It defines AVSCANNER as "/usr/
> local/bin/uvscan". That would require that you have McAfee Antivirus for
> FreeBSD installed. If this machine handles lots of mail, I wouldn't
> suggest
> you use that. Uvscan launches a shell for each time it's called, and it
> will suck a lot of cpu and memory (based on our extensive comparison
> testing.)

	Thank you very much.  I was a little fuzzy about how the
mcAfee product with its data base got there or what it looked
like, etc.

	It is probably not worth the extra load to have
antivirus-milter on there although I see now that had mcAfee
been there, it would have probably done its job.

	I am the only major inbound Email account on that system,
but it is a rather busy workhorse for our group and is already
busy enough that one notices slowdowns at times and, when we
check, it is all legitimate.  In this business, paranoia is a virtue.

Again, thanks for your help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer