[OT] Does "~" always point to $HOME?

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 26 22:51:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Joerg Pernfuss wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:21:14 +0100
> Karol Kwiatkowski <karol.kwiat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> While that's true for most shells, bash, csh, tcsh, etc., it
>>> doesn't work on true Bourne /bin/sh shells (e.g. SCO OpenServer
>>> 5.0.6a and earlier and probably others with Bell Labs ancestors).
>>
>> Not sure what I'm missing, is FreeBSD's /bin/sh shell not "true"
>> Bourne Shell? Was it extended in some way from traditional one?
>
> FreeBSD /bin/sh is actually an ash, which roughly translates into
> a POSIX shell with a few additions that do not break compatibility.
> At least that is how I understood it.
>
> 	Joerg
> --
> | /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
> | \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |
> |  X    HTML in email  |        .the next sentence is true.       |
> | / \     and news     |     .the previous sentence was a lie.    |
>
> --
> | /"\   ASCII ribbon   |  GnuPG Key ID | e86d b753 3deb e749 6c3a |
> | \ / campaign against |    0xbbcaad24 | 5706 1f7d 6cfd bbca ad24 |
> |  X    HTML in email  |        .the next sentence is true.       |
> | / \     and news     |     .the previous sentence was a lie.    |

Unfortunately the target system (now) for the documentation is suse Linux, and I don't have any control over what the company chooses for its Unix OS in the future. So to reduce rewriting the documentation in the future I thought it'd be better to seek out the common denominator in Unix shells.

Besides, if people are smart enough (and most people are here), they can translate $HOME to ~ :).

-Garrett