thwarting repeated login attempts

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jan 26 19:07:37 UTC 2007

David Banning wrote:
> I have installed denyhosts from the ports to stop ssh attacks, but
> I have discovered a vulnerability, that is new to me. Denyhosts
> does not seem to notice FTP login attempts, so the cracker can
> attempt to login via FTP, 1000's of times until he finds a
> login/password combination.

Pardon the stupid question, but I'm assuming it's necessary that you run
ftpd?  We block ftpd at the firewall to any machines outside the LAN.
Anyone who needs FTP access uses a client that's capable of using sftp
instead, and logs in with their SSH credentials.

> Once he has a login/password combo, he can simple login via ssh,
> (provided that user has a shell account).
>
> Is there anyway to block multiple FTP login attempts?

Kevin Kinsey
--
Make it myself?  But I'm a physical organic chemist!