[OT] Does "~" always point to $HOME?

Dak Ghatikachalam dghatikachalam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 06:51:30 UTC 2007

I write shells script extensively , I have noticed

~      -> gets a subsitution for $HOME
~userid   - >gets you the $HOME for that user

meaning if  you have  have logged in as root and  if you want to run some
script on oracle home even though you logged in as root  you can simplly

~oracle/runme.sh  -- > will run the runme.sh in Oracle home directory

Regards
Dak