Problem with "ipfw flush"

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Jan 25 16:28:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

 > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Ian Smith wrote:
 >
 > Excellent.  I'll read up on this for a bit.

I've been reading man ipfw for years, but every time find something new :)

 > I suppose my biggest confusion was as to why I could do:
 >
 > kldload ipfw && ipfw add 65000 allow ip from any to any
 >
 > but not
 >
 > ipfw flush && ipfw add 65000 allow ip from any to any
 >
 > Clearly, the devil is in the output being sent.
 >
 > Also, the manpage had -q and -f as mutually exclusive, and I missed the
 > part about -q implying -f.

I guess the syntax 'ipfw [-f | -q] flush' does imply exclusivity, though
'ipfw -q -f flush' must work fine, when $fwcmd can be 'ipfw -q' ..

 > There IS one other issue that I encountered.  I have tables and pipes in
 > play, and I believe a regular ipfw flush doesn't clear them.  Is there a
 > universal "reset EVERYTHING" command?

I'm yet to use tables or pipes so can't say, except to see ipfw(8) has:

  ipfw table number flush
and
  ipfw [-s [field]] {pipe | queue} {delete | list | show} [number ...]

Cheers, Ian

[..]