HP Embedded SATA RAID controller (FreeBSD 6.2)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jan 25 09:14:32 UTC 2007

Hold on there.  HP makes SCSI and SATA versions of many of their
servers, the model numbers are almost identical between them.  I think
the only difference in the servers is the SCSI ones have an additional
card.

Now, before you go any further on Windows drivers you got to understand
something.  Win XP came out before SATA and Microsquash never put
in the primitives to support the higher SATA speeds in XP.  So in order
to get faster speed you gotta write your Windows driver to look like a
SCSI miniport driver.  MS also don't certify SATA for WCHL so if you
are selling SATA raid chipsets and you want to slap their filthy WCHL
certification sticker on your product box, once more you got to write
your driver to look like a SCSI driver.

You take a very serious risk whenever you compare features of
windows drivers and FreeBSD drivers and attempt to draw conclusions
on hardware.

Ted