trouble mounting Olympus WS-310M voice recorder

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 24 05:28:26 UTC 2007

ajm wrote:

> That's not an absolute solution though, because it should work as a
> regular user (maybe with a bit of fenaggling). Besides, installing sudo
> is a security risk anyhow..
> -Garrett
>
> Sudo...security risk???  It depends on how you set it up.  This is my
> setup:

> See man visudo for a description of Defaults section...

> # Defaults specification
> Defaults env_reset
> Defaults timestamp_timeout=0
> Defaults tty_tickets
> Defaults requiretty
> Defaults passwd_timeout=1

> # User privilege specification
> root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
> wtck57  ALL=/sbin/shutdown,/sbin/mount,/sbin/umount,\
> /sbin/mount_msdosfs

> # Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
> # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL

> # Same thing without a password
> # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

> As you can see I can only run certain commands from sudo...

Last time I checked though, the FreeBSD Security group warned against
using it (you know.. the warning message after installing some ports).
But that was some time ago when I last used that command..

I dunno. su serves its purpose well enough and it's a rock solid
command. If there's a problem with su there's a problem with the
login/password storage mechanism, like there would be with sudo.

I admit that your setup does look secure though. Cheers on that.
- -Garrett