trouble mounting Olympus WS-310M voice recorder

ajm ajm91qw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 24 05:03:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:16:54PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> ajm wrote:

> > Interestingly enough I tried out these steps as root to see if I could
> > resimulate this with my camera and I ended up with the same results.
> > Only by trying to mount the camera as root could I succeed.
> >
> > Does anyone have a FAT16/FAT32 drive properly mounting under FreeBSD as
> > a non-root user? If so, did you modify /dev, /etc/devfs.conf, or are you
> > using amd(8)?
> >
> > -Garrett
>
> > Take a look at   sudoers(5)   and   visudo(8)
>
> > I use sudo to mount my mass storage compliant devices with the
> > following command as regular user:
>
> > for my mp3 player
> > [ajm at bsd]$ sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1 /usr/home/ajm/mnt/mp3player
>
> > for my camera
> > [ajm at bsd]$ sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1 /usr/home/ajm/mnt/kodak
>
> > for a memory card reader
> > [ajm at bsd]$ sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1 /usr/home/ajm/mnt/card_reader
>
> > Just make sure you change the  ?  to an actual device number.
> > You do need to create the /mnt directories in your own home directory
> > so that you can read and write to those devices as a regular user.
>
> > Also use sudo to un mount the device:
>
> > [ajm at bsd]$ sudo umount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1
>
> > NOTE: I did not change anything in the /etc/devfs.conf or am I using
> > amd(8).
>
> That's not an absolute solution though, because it should work as a
> regular user (maybe with a bit of fenaggling). Besides, installing sudo
> is a security risk anyhow..
> - -Garrett

Sudo...security risk???  It depends on how you set it up.  This is my
setup:

See man visudo for a description of Defaults section...

# Defaults specification
Defaults env_reset
Defaults timestamp_timeout=0
Defaults tty_tickets
Defaults requiretty
Defaults passwd_timeout=1

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
wtck57  ALL=/sbin/shutdown,/sbin/mount,/sbin/umount,\
/sbin/mount_msdosfs

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL

# Same thing without a password
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

As you can see I can only run certain commands from sudo...

--
Alexander
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE i386