How to install the 3945ABG Driver on a fresh FreeBSD 6.2 install?

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 22:48:36 UTC 2007

Gilbert Cao wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:36:04AM +0000, Vince Hoffman wrote:
>
>> I hate to say this but this driver only seems to compile on -CURRENT as
>> far as i can tell (and as far as the conversation at
>> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+archive/2007/freebsd-drivers/20070107.freebsd-drivers
>> leads me to believe.)
>> There is another less complete driver floating around that is usable on
>> 6.x although it only works for some people and even then only at 6 meg
>> (i believe the conversation i linked contains links to that driver if
>> you dont fancy running current.)
>>
>> Vince
>>

>   Hi,
>
> I think you are talking about that one
> http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/wpi/wpi-freebsd-20061109.tgz
> about a "less complete driver" "usable on 6.x".
> And, yes, I have tried it, but it did not work for me. (I don't know yet
> how it works for some people).
> In my case, with ifconfig, the status is still on "no carrier".
> No "associated" status.

Hi,
Could be although i got it from a different source.

> About the following,
> http://www.clearchain.com/~benjsc/download/20070107-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz
> basically yes, it only compiles on -CURRENT. I have tried it and it
> works for me.
>

> As I wanted to stay on 6.x, I have installed a 6.2-RELEASE, and tried to
> make the 20070107-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz compiles.
> Here, you will find the result of my work :
> http://www.bsdmon.com/download/20070121-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz

Excelent, just got a chance to try this on an unsecured network (couldnt
get wep to work but i dont tend to need it anyway,) works great, got
more than the 6 meg connection speed the other one i was using gave me.

> To make it compiles, I basically started from 20070107-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz
> and took some code on wpi-freebsd-20061109.tgz.
>
> Now, this new one compiles and it works for me :
> "status: associated" on ifconfig output.
> Don't ask why I do this or that, in the code. I don't really know :p.
> First, I just wanted to make the latest package I found, compile.
> And, on the plus side, it works for me.
> In the package, I have kept the original file as .orig, so you will see
> what I have added and changed.

My programming skill are limited to shell and perl (and limited even
then) so i'll take your word for it.
> I have intentionally commented WPI_DEBUG and WPI_CURRENT.
> About WPI_CURRENT, this have to be commented, on 6.x.
> About WPI_DEBUG, it is just that I wanted to get rid of lots of output,
> in my daily use.
>

> Hope it helps ;)

It does indeed.
many thanks,