5.3 -> 6.2 should work right?

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Mon Jan 22 17:44:27 UTC 2007

B. Cook wrote:
> I'm inheriting an older network and I'm trying to update it..
>
> cvsup to 6_2..
>
> Doing a build kernel && install kernel
>
> then reboot and build world && install world && mergemaster -p if needed
>
> then rebuild the kernel and reinstall it..
>
> right?
>
> I couldn't see anything major in UPDATING.. am I missing something?
First, you should update your system to RELENG_5_5. Then probably you
can try to update to RELENG_6_2. It is always good to update to the
latest minor before you update to a different major version.

By the way, updating a system from 5 to 6 is a headache. (Updating from
4 to 5 is much easier.) Many will suggest (including me) to install your
new 6.2 system from binaries, and then transfer your programs and users,
if possible.

Best,

   Laszlo