more than 7 partitions on a SCSI-drive

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Jan 21 21:58:08 UTC 2007

Christian Baer wrote:
> Hi folkes!
>
> Is there any way to do this with FreeBSD?
>
> Background:
>
> I have to admit, that I have never actually done or even tried this with
> any OS whatsoever. I am running a two drive system with two mirrors on
> it. Because I wanted a lot of room for /usr while /usr/home ist mounted
> on a different partition, the second drive is filled with the two
> mirror partitions, /usr and a swap partition. Everything else is mounted
> on the first drive. That being: /, /temp, /var, /usr/obj and the second
> swap partition. Together with the two mirrors this means seven (in
> words: 7) partitions. The table looks like this:
>
> Filesystem              Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0a               501M     72M    389M    16%    /
> devfs                   1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/da0d               1.9G    102K    1.8G     0%    /tmp
> /dev/da1f                21G    2.9G     17G    15%    /usr
> /dev/da0h               6.8G    742M    5.5G    12%    /usr/obj
> /dev/da0e               4.8G     71M    4.4G     2%    /var
> /dev/mirror/sec1.eli    9.8G    7.5M    9.0G     0%    /usr/home
> /dev/mirror/sec0.eli     34G     21M     32G     0%    /usr/home/christian
>
> What really sounds (and probably is) pathetic is that I have nearly 6
> gigs of 'leftover' space on da0. Increasing the size of the mounted
> partitions isn't really useful anymore (apart from reducing the free
> space) as I for example probably won't be needing 2GB for /temp or more
> than 5GB for /var - those are the sizes I have allocated now. Making /
> any bigger than the current 512MB wouldn't bring any advances either.
>
> Increasing the size of the mirrors isn't an option because that would be
> schrinking /usr. Finding a new mount point wouldn't be a problem. I was
> thinking something along the lines of /usr/ports. /usr/src was an idea
> at first but since I want to keep that on a different physical drive
> than /usr/obj, the idea doesn't seem that bright anymore.
>
> But the
> problem is that I can't allocate another partition, not that I ran out
> of ideas for mount points. :-) On other machines with IDE-drives I had
> one slice with partitions inside and never ran into this limitation
> before. Is there any way to do something like that on SCSI-drives? We
> are talking about SPARC64 here.
>
> Regards
> Chris

Why create so many partitions? You can use slices to your benefit and
you wouldn't use up your allocatable partitions on the disk's MBR.

Example:

[gcooper at sprsd ~]$ df -h | grep ad0
/dev/ad0s1a             739M     40M    639M     6%    /
/dev/ad0s2d              62G     56G    1.1G    98%    /store/ad0
/dev/ad0s1d             1.9G    1.1M    1.8G     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1e             3.9G    3.2G    377M    90%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1f             1.9G    143M    1.6G     8%    /var

Note that all that I used was 1 partition and to supplement that I used
5 slices.

The only thing given my example that I suggest is that you make /usr
large than what I made it; the size I made it's really too small for the
/usr slice.. Arg.

Cheers,
- -Garrett