more than 7 partitions on a SCSI-drive

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Sun Jan 21 21:57:23 UTC 2007

Jeff Mohler wrote:

> If there is a fundamental reason why we still partition things like we
> only have 10, 20, or 40Mb RLL. or slightly larger ESDI drives from
> back in the day..im willing to learn.

1. if you only have one file system and something corrupts it, it's all
gone. Some people even use the root file system read only so writes
can't compromise it.
2. some applications perform better with certain parameters, such as
block size and inode density
3. if you're going to encrypt your data, you might want to encrypt only
your /home filesystem and gain on performance, since system files are
public and easily recoverable
4. some security flags applicable on file systems, like nosuid, nosymfollow
5. swap partition
6. the possibility of mixing RAID modes

I'm sure there are more...