SATA II drives

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Jan 20 17:21:18 UTC 2007

--On January 20, 2007 7:06:27 AM +0000 rcugini at netzero.net wrote:

> I have a Promise Tx4 SATA II card with a 1/4 terabyte SATA II Western
> digital drive.  This drive has some free space, a windows partition and
> a Mepis 6.0 Linux partition.
>
> Will BSD work with a SATA II drive?  Will it "see" the other operating
> systems?

uname -a
FreeBSD utd59514.utdallas.edu 6.0-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.0-SECURITY #0: Tue
Apr 18 08:56:09 UTC 2006
root at builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

ad4: 238418MB <Maxtor 7Y250M0 YAR51HW0> at ata2-master SATA150
ad5: 238418MB <Maxtor 7Y250M0 YAR51HW0> at ata2-slave SATA150

These are two 300GB drives.

This machine has Windows XP SP2 installed as well, although I never use
it.  After the original install, I've booted into Windows twice to update
the patches.  (Probably should do that again some time.)

I use FreeBSD's native boot manager.  It "sees" Windows XP as "Other".

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/