gsfonts in X ?

Tore Lund toreld at netscape.net
Fri Jan 19 23:49:14 UTC 2007

Firas Kraiem wrote:
> Hello everyone !
>
> My problem is that fonts look really horrible in most websites (see screenshot
> at the end of this message). The same problem occured in various Linux
> distros and was solved by installing the gsfonts-x11 package. How would I do
> the same in FBSD ? The print/gsfonts port is installed but I guess I need to
> do something else. Any ideas ?

For my own part I simply turn off anti-aliasing:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <match target="font">
    <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

However, one person wrote to me and said that it worked better for him
to turn off the use of color for sub-pixel anti-aliasing, like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
 <fontconfig>
   <match target="font">
     <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
       <const>none</const>
     </edit>
   </match>
 </fontconfig>

Maybe one of these will work for you if you put it in ~/.fonts.conf.
--
    Tore