ATAPI CDROM Problem

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:55:22 UTC 2007

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.2 on my new machine and have a problem. I boot using 6.2-disc1, but when I try to choose CD/DVD as installation media, the installer says: "No CD/DVD drives found".

Is this by chance a newer Core 2 Duo system with a motherboard with an
Intel p965 chipset? If so, I think this is a known bug. I know at
least one other person who was unable to install FreeBSD 6.2 on a p965
board. The installer does not see the PATA hdd or the ATAPI CD device
on the JMicron controller.

I'm not sure if it's related, but it sounds similar to this PR I submitted here:

Others might be able to offer workarounds for getting the installer to
work (since my DVD drive works for normal things, just not ATAPICAM).

Josh