md5sum is missing, but not entirely

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 17 10:39:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:29:57 -0000, <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:

> Both the executable and the manpage for md5sum seem to be missing
> from this 6.1-RELEASE system, making it difficult to check the
> downloaded 6.2-RELEASE and FreeSBIE ISOs.  Isn't md5sum supposed
> to be part of the base?
>
> Meanwhile, "apropos md5" yields this line, among others
>
>   gmd5sum(1), md5sum(1) - compute and check MD5 message digest
>
> but "man md5sum" says
>
>   No manual entry for md5sum
>
> How did that line get into the apropos, when the corresponding
> manpage is (apparently) not installed?

The command to calculate md5 sums is 'md5', not 'md5sum', and it is part
of the base.

On my system (6.2-RC2)
apropos md5 | grep sum:
md5(1), sha1(1), sha256(1), rmd160(1) - calculate a message-digest
fingerprint (checksum) for a file.

Not sure why apropos md5 shows md5sum and gmd5sum (g for gnu?), maybe it's
 from a port.
I also suspect that gmd5sum is a link to md5sum or vice versa.