duo core question

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Jan 17 03:24:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:11:20 -0500
"Tsu-Fan Cheng" <tfcheng at gmail.com> wrote:

> how much faster will a duo core CPU gives me when
> running freebsd, nothing optimised..

How much faster than what....

:)

ok, without being a smart-arse anymore. :) Not sure how much faster a duo
core version of the SAME single core CPU, on a SAME motherboard with SAME RAM,
HD, bus,etc would be.... but, FWIW, from the mouth of some Intel Exec in a
Virtualisation conf. in Sydney late last year, they say they achieved about 85%
increased speed with a duo core, using the same amount of power as for a single
core. If wanted to achieve double the speed, the power consumption would be SO
much bigger that it wouldn't be worth it.  I found that interesting.

HIH

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying  I approved of
it." Mark Twain

Warned.