how much space does freebsd-update need for the workdir?

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 17 00:24:34 UTC 2007

Jay Chandler wrote:
> lveax wrote:
>> i have upgraded to 6.2. i notice there is a new tool freebsd-update.
>>
>> where i can find the freebsd-update mirror server list?

The FreeBSD Update client does that automatically, using DNS SRV magic.

>> and how much space does it need?

That depends upon how many security updates are issued.  Hopefully not
much space. :-)

More seriously, the /var/db/freebsd-update/ directory holds the new and
old versions of any files which are updated, in order to allow you to
rollback security updates (not that I ever expect this to be necessary).
As a wild guess, I'm going to say that this is likely to add up to about
20MB/year.

> On a related note, I already have the freebsd-update port installed.
> Should I uninstall it and use the one that's part of the OS, or keep
> going as I've been doing?

Uninstall the port.  The new FreeBSD Update code in the base system is
much better.

Colin Percival