Very Poor Raid Card Performance

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Jan 16 19:23:10 UTC 2007

With FreeBSD you can manage RAID in the OS or in your hardware (assuming
hardware RAID support.)  If you setup the RAID in the hardware, FreeBSD
just "sees" the array as a large disk you can then partition.  The
advantage of doing the RAID in hardware is usually performance, but also
you can dual-boot.

         -Derek

At 10:25 AM 1/16/2007, Steven Lowry wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been very impressed with my FreeBSD 6.2 install, I have nearly
>everything working but there are a few things which I need help with.
>
>The main problem is my HD performance, it is approx 6x slower than in
>windows XP, hopefully there is a solution. I have an LSI Megaraid 8x with
>four drives in a raid 5 configuration, in windows I was getting upto 60MB/s
>transfer rates but in FBSD I am getting upto 9MB/s. I followed the
>instructions in the handbook for tuning disks and I have set dma on.
>Being new to unix, I have no idea what to try or get system information
>too continue troubleshooting.
>If anyone could point me in the right direction or to appropriate
>documentation
>it would be much appreciated.
>
>Steve...
>--