Command Execution Using Script - Similar to Windows Batch File-Like Script (Coding Help)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 16 19:12:42 UTC 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 1:00 AM, linux quest wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD Communities,
>
> Lets say, I wanted to create a Perl script to execute a very simple
> nmap command as listed below, may I know how do I do it?
>
> unix# nmap 192.168.1.2
>
> I know we need to save it in .pl extension. May I know what else I
> need to do?
>
> I have researched and google this for the entire week, but I still
> can't find the solution. For example in Windows, all I need to do
> is to type "nmap 192.168.1.2" and save it in a text file with the
> extension .bat - and everything will be taken care of.
>
> I hope someone can share with me the simple coding to solve this
> problem.
>
> Thank you so much, guys :)
>
> Regards,
> Linux Quest
>
> Regards,
> Linux Quest

If you just want to see if a host is up..

#!/bin/sh
#

/usr/bin/ping -c 1 192.168.1.2

..would suffice. Substitute /usr/bin/ping -c 1 for whatever command
and arguments you want to run. Google "beginner bash manual" (note
that it's for bash--the bourne again shell, not bourne shell--sh),
but many of the same semantics in bash applying to sh.
-Garrett