Using fn-Key of IBM Thinkpads in X?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:28:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm currently using the latest FreeBSD 6.1 patchlevel on an IBM
Thinkpad T23, and so far I'm quite happy with it. (I'll have an issue
with my ath-based WLAN-NIC, but I've to address this later.)
One thing I'm wondering about is if it is possible to use the fn-Key
as another special key in X, e.g. like Control or Alt. I'm using ion3
as a window manager, and I found know hotkey configuration that
wouldn't affect the usage of hotkeys in applications. Using
fn+<something else> with X/ion3 would be nice.
But I don't know if fn sends a scan code like the other keys do, and
how I could map this key in X.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Christian