How about a Start-Up Script that execute every 30 minutes for resolv.conf???

George Vanev george.vanev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 07:57:32 UTC 2007

If you really want to copy resolv.conf from /root to /etc every 30 min
you don't need a startup script. Just add the following line in
/etc/crontab:
*/30     *       *       *       *       root    cp /root/resolv.conf
/etc/resolv.conf

I don't know what exactly are you trying to do, but this is not
quite a good decision.

On 1/16/07, linux quest <linuxquest7570 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Jay & The FreeBSD Communities,
>
> Thanks for putting your time and patience to help me out. Anyway, I
> tried it out, both changing the rc.conf and the dhclient.conf (one at a
> time). After that (for both of the ways), I did manage to stop the
> resolv.conf from being overwritten after the PC reboot. However, when I
> ping
> 192.168.52.1 or 192.168.52.2, the error msg says that there is no route
> to both of the IP. Even after I add the default route by using command
> line ... I am still unable to ping google.com.
>
> Then, I undo everything by using VMWare... (including undo the DHCP
> configuration in rc.conf) so that I am able to ping google.com again.
>
> Since, I desperately needed to connect to the Internet at this point of
> time, I create a file called resolv.conf in /root ... I am thinking how
> can I create a script so that it can copy resolv.conf from /root to
> /etc/resolv.conf every 30 minutes at start up - This is because I don't
> wanna manually type in "cp /root/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf" every 30
> minutes.
>
> Hope somebody can share with me the simple coding. Thanks :)
>
> Regards,
> Linux Quest
>
> Jay Chandler <chandler at chapman.edu> wrote: Please don't top-post.
>
> linux quest wrote:
> > Dear Jay,
> >
> > Actually, I am running FreeBSD Unix on a VMWare machine (Host OS:
> > Win2003, Guest OS: FreeBSD).
> >
> > Any ideas how I can disable / ignore the routing from the VMnet8?
> > Below are the only VMWare NAT configuration that I have access to. No
> > DHCP enable / disable option.
> >

> > Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:
> >
> >    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
> >    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.52.1
> >    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> >    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.52.2
> >

> > When I install FreeBSD, I remember I did select some option to enable
> > DHCP. Perhaps, I should disable the DHCP service in FreeBSD(Guest OS)
> > - if so, any idea how do I do it?
> >
> > Thanks :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Linux Quest
> >

> Simple enough, then.
>
> Edit /etc/rc.conf, and remove the line relating to the dhcp client.
> Then add:
> defaultrouter="192.168.51.2"
> hostname="boxname!"
> ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.52.WHATEVERYOUWANT  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> --
> Jay Chandler
> Network Administrator, Chapman University
> 714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
> Today's Excuse: emissions from GSM-phones

George Vanev