perl substitution question

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Jan 16 01:09:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:45:57PM -0800, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>OMG!  I managed to break a new shell war :)
> >>
> >>/me ducks and runs very far away
> >
> >	No! no, cometh backeth, Giorgos!  No war, just peace, love
> >	and flowers:-)
>
> % cd /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw/ && make extract && cd work/imap-2004g
> % tail -3 Makefile
> # A monument to a hack of long ago and far away...
> love:
>         @echo not war?

	This was from *mumble* years ago, but if you do a make love
	in most Makefiles, you'll get "make: don't know how to make love.
	Stop";  now is that old or what?

	Oh-well.

> >  Actually, I do use zsh, just have no clue how to
> >	set noglob.  I was going to ask, but didn't want to show my
> >	ignorance.  [[ been using zsh for 16, 17 years... ]]
> [ ... ]
> >	Chuck, exactly what does noglob do? How to set/unset,  please?
>
> noglob is a keyword (a "precommand modifier", specifically) that
> disables wildcard filename globbing:
>
>   % cd /tmp
>   % touch 'a*'
>   % touch 'ab'
>   % ls a*
>   a*              ab
>   % noglob ls a*
>   a*
>
> This trivial case isn't too useful, but consider wanting to copy
> all .jpg files from your home directory on another machine to the
> local machine via scp or rsync:
>
>   noglob scp kline at machine:*.jpg .
>
> It's also amazingly handy in conjunction with the "find" command:
>
>   noglob find /usr/obj -name *.a
>
> ...so much so that I do:
>
>   alias find='noglob find'
>
> ...in my ZSH environment.

	Yes, indeed, thank you.  After playing around for some minutes,
	your alias (or 'noglob find') finds much more easily.   Live and
	learn....obviously.

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix