Diffing RELENG_6 between two dates from cvs

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Mon Jan 15 23:49:56 UTC 2007

Hi list,

(Please Cc: my in your replies.)

I am looking for a way to achieve what I would intuitively write:
    cvs diff -r RELENG_6 -D <date1> -D <date2>

Some people would point me to the info-cvs mailing-list for this
question doesn't seem to be related to FreeBSD.  Nonetheless FreeBSD 6
has cvs 1.11.17-FreeBSD and I am pretty sure that cvs guys would to me
to use a newer version of cvs: this is indeed a FAQ [1].  Starting at
version 1.12.12, cvs can handle the following syntax:

[1] http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/index.php?title=CVS_FAQ#How_do_I_get_a_date_based_diff_on_a_branch.3F

The proposed workaround works but it implies to have write access to
the repository.  Moreover tagging the whole src/ tree is a bit overkill
for such a task.

I've read somewhere it is possible to use "cvs diff -j <date>:<tag>",
but I wasn't able to confirm this.

Any clue or pointers are welcome.

Thank you.
Best regards,

PS: In the meantime, one can use "cvs update -r <branch> -D <date>" but
"cvs status" reveals only a sticky tag.  The sticky date is lost,
probably because the CVS/Entries file can handle either flag "T<tag>"
or "D<date>" and not both together.   Does any one know how to
workaround this, or if it has been addressed in later version of cvs ?
--
Jeremie Le Hen