Mystery Spam Piling Up in Mqueue

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Mon Jan 15 08:31:43 UTC 2007

"Jason C. Wells" <jcw at highperformance.net> writes:

> I have a bunch of mail piling up in /var/spool/mqueue.  It appears to be
> all spam and it appears to be generated on the localhost.  I am not
> sending it.

Like Jeff said, this looks very much like bounces generated by spam
which was sent with a forged, undeliverable sender address (big
surprise, huh?).

Pileups like these will happen every once in a while, and there's
really not too much you can do apart from putting some effort into
making sure your systems stay clean.  With a bit of care it is
possible to remove messages from your delivery queue, but unless disk
space is really tight or the messages are just too d**n annoying, you
can just leave them there to automagically go away after a few days.

As for "giving spammers a hard time", you could for entertainment (and
possibly some information value) try putting that exact string into
your favorite search engine.

Cheers,