Newbie attempting to install Flamenco (open source, python-based, faceted interface)

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd-questions at sentinelchicken.net
Sun Jan 14 18:33:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:48:24AM -0500, Brett Bonfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a library student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. My
> goal is to aggregate information about the Library and Information
> Science profession (e.g. conferences, mailing lists, blogs,
> professional associations, accredited LIS schools, scholarships,
> etc.). Ironically, no one else has documented my chosen profession, at
> least not online. My hope is to create a self-sustaining community
> that sees the value in faceted interfaces and shares my appreciation
> for the importance of using open source software to organize open
> information.
>
> I have an excellent host, TextDrive, that is committed to open source
> development and does a very nice job with its machines, but my server
> runs FreeBSD, and Flamenco <http://flamenco.berkeley.edu/index.html>
> seems to be Linux-centric: "Please note that we have only tested the
> code on the Linux OS (Red Hat 2.4.21)." By changing the path to Python
> in its install script and replacing cp -a with cp -pRP, I've gotten it
> most of the way installed, but not all the way -- I can't get it to
> install the data itself, what Flamenco calls instances.
>
> My hope is that someone on this list who is comfortable with Python
> and MySQL might try installing Flamenco and see if it's possible
> within the FreeBSD environment. I realize it seems like a lot of
> bother, but check out Flamenco's examples
> <http://flamenco.berkeley.edu/demos.html>, especially the Nobel Prize
> winners
> <http://orange.sims.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/flamenco.cgi/nobel/Flamenco>.
> The developers have created a gorgeously clean interface, and they're
> hosting the project on Sourceforge -- but the Flamenco community
> hasn't yet gotten to the point where it can provide its own support.
> My hope is that a visible project, like the one I'm undertaking, might
> get the ball rolling.
>
> I've tried Flamenco's seemingly solid documentation, Google, FreeBSD
> documentation, TextDrive forums, TextDrive's help desk, and I've
> contacted the developers. I'm not sure what else to try given that
> I've been working on this since November 26, at least a few hours per
> week. I realize I could use MIT's Longwell, but I much prefer
> Flamenco. I hope at least one other person on this list will see the
> value in Flamenco and will be able to figure out what needs to be done
> to make it work within FreeBSD.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brett

Hello Brett,

I'd try posing this to freebsd-ports at freebsd.org. The people that
watch that list will probably be more able to help (rather, have more
interest in helping you) that those on freebsd-questions at . Also, when
posting there -- if you haven't done so already -- try changing your
subject line to something like "Help with porting Flamenco". In the
body of your text, you may also want to include the exact requirements
of Flamenco (e.g., Python >= 2.4.X, MySQL >= 5.0, etc). The people
on that list will be able to tell you right away whether or not a port
is easy/possible.

Cheers,

Jason